The Buffalo Bills… let’s just say that they lost on Sunday. For more on that game, click HERE.
Here are the grades for the Buffalo Bills loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars:
- Passing Offense – All it took was a span of 6 plays and the Bills were essentially doomed. QB EJ Manuel collapsed, with a fumble returned for a TD, a pick-six and another interception added for good measure. Manuel put Buffalo down 27-3 based on 20 points off turnovers in just 6 plays from scrimmage. With Buffalo buried in a 24-point hole, the Bills, and Manuel, didn’t quit. While Manuel was almost picked by Jaguars LB Telvin Smith a second time, he did compose himself and lead the comeback attempt to reclaim the lead. However, Buffalo was thwarted by just 1 yard, failing to get it in 3 plays. In the end, Manuel sunk the passing game too much, to a point where there is no choice but fail them. GRADE: F
- Running Offense – McCoy was ready to go in this game, but Jacksonville knew it as well. They stacked up 8 men in the box and dared Manuel to beat them. McCoy quietly had 68 yards on the ground, mostly against a stacked box. It didn’t help when Manuel buried the team into a 24-point hole in a span of 6 plays. GRADE: B
- Passing Offense – Partially buoyed by facing the likes of Blake Bortles, Buffalo bounced back with a mostly stout performance against the Jaguars aerial attack. However, Buffalo allowed several long TD drives and the Bills let down the entire team with the final Jaguars drive for a touchdown. Buffalo did get a pick-six of their own, which allowed them to take the lead for the moment. A phantom pass interference on Nickell Robey didn’t help things. Overall, a good performance. GRADE: B
- Rushing Defense – Fun Fact: Jaguars RB T.J. Yeldon ran for 115 yards in London. Several times, Yeldon was stopped in the backfield, but he escaped for big gains against the defense. Yeldon was able to make plays out of nothing, and the Bills missed DT Kyle Williams’ presence. But the Bills found life in the 4 stuffs of Jaguars RB Toby Gerhart. GRADE: C+
- Special Teams – WR Denarius Moore finally provided the spark needed in the return game. Sadly, more penalties on special teams during Moore’s runbacks negated several big plays. However, special teams flipped the field when they needed to, which helped Buffalo back into the game. Kickoff specialist Jordan Gay boomed a kick from his own 20 to force Jacksonville to start from their 16 yard line. GRADE: B
- Coaching – The Bills were down and out. But credit Rex Ryan for managing this crisis, encouraging the team to claw back and eventually take the lead. Lesser Bills teams of years past would’ve taken a blowout loss to JACKSONVILLE. But Ryan’s team fought back. Offensive coordinator Greg Roman had an odd set of play calls on Buffalo’s final drive, with the QB sneak and then the rollout to the left with a right-armed QB. But, despite the injuries, this squad should’ve beaten Jacksonville, and Ryan didn’t get his team there. GRADE: C+
Keep it locked here on Better Live Than Dead Sports for your Buffalo Bills coverage!